Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2001

Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning? I remember my brother and I getting ready for work, my cousin (who worked with Joe) walked right in our front door and went straight for the TV. He turned it on and we all fell silent, left as statues in whatever position we were in and held our breath as we watched smoke billow from one of the two towers. A gasp escaped my mouth, my hand reaching up to my heart, tears fell from my eyes as we watched the second plane crash into the second tower. I don't remember how long I stood there, but I did eventually rip myself from the TV and got to work. My co-workers and I spent ever minute we could in the breakroom watching the firemen, police officers, ordinary citizens help others... we watched the towers fall... it was at our morning meeting that we were told about the Pentagon and flight 96 that went down in the Penn. field because Americans refused to let the terrorists take the plane elsewhere. Work was slow, I found myself just glaring at customers who came in to shop while people were dying across the country, we were eventually all sent home and the store was closed. I sat on the couch for the rest of the day to watch all the news I could, feeling grateful that I knew my family was safe, cried tears for all those that were lost, and felt my American pride build as I knew we wouldn't let this go, we would retaliate.





I love this country, I love being an American, and I love all those men and women that have served and are serving this country. I've had the priviledge of knowing many men and women who have served their tour of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, I thank them for their time. To all those who lost their lives on September 11th and those that have lost their lives protecting this country, it's people and all the freedoms we enjoy everyday... we owe our thanks and our lives. May you all offer a moment of silence for them on this day. Be Proud to be an American!!!

1 comment:

  1. This makes me so happy to hear that there are still Americans who remember that day and why we are at war, and remember the troops! It seems that people like you are becoming few and far between! Thank you Candace!

    ReplyDelete