Saturday, February 26, 2011

Red Velvet Cake - Success!!

We must first begin by reminding you of the cutest blogger turned cookbook writer turned romance novelist :) This is Ree Drummond, Pioneer Woman. She started out as just a blogger, writing about her life story - living in the city but ending up on a ranch with the hottest cowboy around... adding recipes as she went, of course. She became so popular that she published a cookbook. After numerous requests were made for her to write her whole love story, she published yet another book, this one about her romance with Marlboro Man.
My sister, her mother-in-law, a good friend and I attended her book signing last month and had an absolute blast.
P-Dub & Me


In line for P-Dub to sign our books...

Being reminded of her awesomeness, I pulled out her cookbook and was determined to try out one of her recipes... I don't know what made me think I could tackle such a project as Red Velvet Cake, but I did!
...and the mess begins....

mix...add...mix...add....

One whole ounce of red food coloring.....

Messy kitchen... cleaning up was a-whole-nother project - I'm so grateful to have a sweet supportive husband who was there to help me every step of the way!


Ta-Da!!! I even made the cream cheese frosting from scratch!! I was a bit worried about the actual taste of my cake, but I served it anyway. It was a huge hit!! My 5-year-old nephew took one bite and exclaimed, "This is GREAT!!" After finishing his piece he came right up to me and asked if I'd make that cake for his birthday - so stinkin' cute!

3 comments:

  1. Good job Candace! You are brave, I don't know if I would ever, in my whole life, attempt to make that, seriously. And by the way, you look so completely adorable in that last picture of you holding your beautiful cake!!! Love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I've always told you that you're too harsh of a judge on your cooking and it was fan-tab! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only does she look completely adorable holding the cake, but the cake looks so great just sitting there in her hands.....and not only did it look good, but it tasted GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete