Wednesday, January 12, 2011

You should try new things Candace...

People tell me all the time that I need to try new things, eat more "grown-up foods," or expand my culinary horizons (thanks Amy)... so, this year I told myself that I would add in a some new recipes to our weekly menu. So far... not so impressed. What's so neat about struggling and stressing your way through making dinner, freaking out when you're not sure if the sauce has 'thickened' enough, not liking how it tastes after all that work, then getting depressed about all the money wasted on ingredients, then wanting to cry when you look at your kitchen and the Huge Freaking Mess that I get clean up?! How do people enjoy this?!

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law: "Tortellini with Proscuitto and Peas"
I'm not entirely sure why I picked it... I'm not a huge noodle fan and I'm picky with cheese... so why would I pick cheese filled noodles?! I must be crazy... though this is a step up from last week's failure with "Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce." Maybe I should just stay away from pasta?


Close up of the disaster...


The counter opposite my oven was just as messy with measuring cups, utensils, the recipe, etc. I'm sooo not looking forward to washing all those freaking dishes.


Any words of encouragement? I dare you to try! :)

7 comments:

  1. Always stear clear of pasta. Blah! Don't worry, I've had a couple recipes that I've made and just had to laugh cause it was so gross. Keep trying though, it's very exciting when you have something turn out delicious and looks super pretty on your plate. Then it's all worth it. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I won't try, but I'm glad to see our Christmas card there in the corner of the picture, hehe :)

    And I am so behind with reading blogs, and my own blog. But I just read the post about JJ and the impact he has had on you. That was so beautiful Candace! I'm so glad you guys love each other so much, and I'm glad that JJ can show you what you don't see in yourself, what the rest of us DO see in you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it! it was VERY delicious!!!!!!!! She says she put to much pepper in it.....but i disagree....it was perfectly peppered! So stop your boobin' wife, kuz if something doesn't taste delicious, it is the recipe's fault, not your own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never give up trying new things, never ever!! I think the pasta looks amazing. I've seen this recipe many a time by many a cook so it must be a good one. Can't wait to try it at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How you call that a disaster, I don't know. That food looks good! go you!

    P.S. Just practice your "Mise en place" (pronounced [miz ɑ̃ plas], literally "putting in place") It's a French term meaning everything in it's place and if you watch "Worst Cooks in America" like you should you will realize you are way better off than other cooks and it will teach you awesome skills to clean as you go and fun knife cuts so things cook evenly, etc.! I love that show, Amy does too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I THINK THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!!!!!! I love pasta though. With a picture that looks that good, I would hire you to come cook for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...I would eat it :) I'm not very picky at all. I'd be happy to come over and eat up your "disasters" any time ;)

    ReplyDelete